In this early image of Sandusky’s Columbus Avenue, many individuals appear to be leaving Sts. Peter and Paul Church during the winter of 1872; clearly, it was a significant ceremony of some sort, held about five years after the opening of the church. Several Catholic nuns are being transported in a horse drawn vehicle seen on the left side of the picture. The Academy building is the closest of the three large buildings in this picture. The three story Academy was an early school in Sandusky, built in 1828; it also served as the first Erie County Courthouse. Emmanuel German Evangelical Protestant Church, now known as Emmanuel United Church of Christ, is to the south of the Academy. Sts. Peter and Paul Church, with its multi-spired tower, is just south of Emmanuel Church.
Further details about the architecture of Emmanuel Church and Sts. Peter and Paul Church, as well as information about the historic architecture of several homes, businesses, and other buildings in Sandusky, are found in the book Treasure by the Bay, by Ellie Damm.