Friday, February 23, 2018
This picture was taken in the adult section of the Sandusky Library in 1973. It appeared on page 33 of a booklet produced for the Sandusky Area Chamber of Commerce. At the bottom of the picture above, you can see the 3 x 5 inch file cards which were still used then for patron records and circulation of books and magazines. Of course now all those records have been computerized. Fiction books lined the shelves along the back wall. Carousels containing paperback books were located adjacent to the study tables. The director’s office was then up the stairs in the back corner of this room. This room is now part of the Children’s Services area of the Sandusky Library. Below, two youngsters are browsing in the children’s non-fiction books. Their clothing definitely is from the 1970s.
The room where the young people are browsing for books is now a part of the Baby Garden in the Children’s Services section of the Sandusky Library.
Tuesday, February 20, 2018
The names of twenty-two female elementary students appear on this attendance register, which dates to August and September of 1847. The youngsters range in age from 4 to 10. In the early 1840s, there were school buildings in Sandusky in the East and West Markets as well as a high school on the public square. Teachers employed for 1846-1847 included these teachers for the male students: A.C. Huestes, A.M. Barber, E.P. Jones, James W. Shankland, and James Evers. Teachers for the female students were: L.A. McElwain, L.M. Jones, D.R. Whipple, L.B. Sprague, A.D. Latscha, M. Strong and E. Brewster.
Sadly, at least three of the young ladies who attended school in Sandusky in 1847 died in the cholera epidemic of 1849.
Mary Halpin was among four members of the Halpin family to die from cholera. Helen and Marian Benschoter both died on July 28, 1849. Their sister Eulalia Benschoter, also a student in 1847, went on to marry Captain John Decatur Peterson; she lived to be age 55, and is buried in Scott Cemetery in Huron, Ohio.
Sandusky’s first school superintendent, M.F. Cowdery, wrote a history entitled: Local School History of the City of Sandusky: From 1838 to 1871 Inclusive in February 1876. The original item is housed in the Schools Collection of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center. A photocopy of this document is available for patrons to read.
Thursday, February 15, 2018
Promotional items which were once given away to customers of the Pusch, Martin and Company in downtown Sandusky were donated by the Steinert family to the Follett House Museum. Pictured above is a print that shows a smartly dressed young woman walking her dog near Niagara Falls. Another print features a lovely lady who appears to be emerging from a waterfall, with a rainbow overhead.
The company’s stamp appears on the back of each item.
The Pusch, Martin and Company store was at the northeast corner of West Market and Jackson Streets from about 1910 to 1913. In the 1920s, E.B. Ackley had his billiard parlor at this location. Edwin D. Martin and Edward W. Pusch were the proprietors of the store, which sold ready to wear clothing for women.
This 1913 advertisement from Pusch, Martin and Company, states that the “North Shore” ready-made dresses sold there were “good enough for anybody and cheap enough for everybody.” Dresses for women ranged in price from $1.40 to $2.98. Children’s dresses sold for ninety-five cents. Aprons and rompers cost less than a dollar each.
The partnership between Mr. Pusch and Mr. Martin was dissolved in August of 1913. Soon after, Edward W. Pusch opened a dry goods store in the 600 block on Hancock Street. Edwin Martin went on to work as a salesman for the Globe Paper Company.
Monday, February 12, 2018
In 1934 the students of Sandusky High School’s Senior High art class created illustrations for a 1935 calendar. Miss Marian Yocum, head of Sandusky’s Art Department, taught the senior high school art class. Illustrations created for each of the twelve months featured a print that had been engraved by students onto linoleum blocks. John Schoepfle illustrated the calendar page for May, 1935, which featured the Sandusky Library.
John Schoepfle, a 1934 graduate of Sandusky High School, was the son of Sandusky physician Dr. H. C. Schoepfle. John went on to study at the Cleveland Art Institute and later taught adult education classes in Los Angeles, California. In the 1970s, he and his wife Nadine moved from California to Kennebunk, Maine, where they owned and operated the Harbor House Gallery. The Gallery featured art work by both John and Nadine Schoepfle. Mr. Schoepfle died on January 4, 2011, at the age of 94.
An article in the November 24, 1934 issue of the Sandusky Star Journal lists the names of the student artists, and describes the prints for each of the twelve months, as well as the cover illustration. The article went on to suggest that the 1935 Calendar would be ideal for gift giving during of the holiday season.
Friday, February 09, 2018
In April, 1822, David Campbell issued the first copy of the Sandusky Clarion, a predecessor of the Sandusky Register. The paper was renamed the Daily Register after Earl Bill and Clark Waggoner took over as editors of the paper in 1851. Eventually Henry D. Cooke became associated with the business. The newspaper firm was owned by Bill, Cooke and Company when this receipt was issued to David Campbell in 1853.
Hewson Peeke wrote in A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio (Lewis Publishing Co., 1916) that the Register changed hands three or four times between 1855 and 1869. It was after Isaac Foster Mack became half-owner in the newspaper in 1869 that the local newspaper in Sandusky became known as the Sandusky Register. In this 1872 receipt, signed by I.F. Mack, the paper was known as the Sandusky Daily Register, under the proprietorship of the Register Printing Company.
According to the letterhead on this receipt from August 3, 1889, at that time the Sandusky Register had a daily, tri-weekly, weekly, and Sunday edition. I.F. Mack and Brother were the publishers of the Sandusky Register in 1889.
Though the names changed slightly throughout the years, the Sandusky Register has a long history with the residents of Sandusky and Erie County. Visit the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center to view historical copies of Sandusky newspapers on microfilm. There was you will also find an interesting biography of I.F. Mack by Charles E. Frohman, entitled Sandusky's Editor.
Tuesday, February 06, 2018
In the late nineteenth century, the foot of Columbus Avenue looked quite different from Sandusky’s waterfront today. People could board trains as well as steamships here. The interurban also had tracks that brought people to these docks. From downtown Sandusky, visitors could travel to Cedar Point, the Lake Erie Islands, and even to Detroit.
The business at the left side of the picture below shows a stand that sold cigars and newspapers. A popcorn stand was located beside the news stand. A diamond shaped railroad crossing sign warned people to look out for railway cars. A group of men were deep in conversation in front of the fountain.
In this close-up view of the Arrow, you can see two men walking on the deck. A bicycle is visible on the lower level, suggesting that a passenger planned to take a bicycle ride once they got to their destination in the Lake Erie Islands area.
The steamer R.B. Hayes can be seen right next to the Johnson’s Island boat landing. A faded sign on the dock read “Over 12 Million Passengers.”
Visit the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center to view hundreds of historical photographs from Sandusky and Erie County. You can also access historical photos online at the Past Perfect Local History Archives.
Saturday, February 03, 2018
A carte-de-visite labelled only as “Mr. Ulmer” is in the biographical section of historical photographs at the Sandusky Library Archives Center. There is also a portrait of Mrs. Ulmer.
Both of the cartes-de-visite were created at the studio of Sandusky photographer A.C. Platt, who died in Sandusky in 1884.
By looking at the 1880 U.S. Census for Erie County, Ohio, there are two logical choices for helping in the indentification these individuals. In 1880, Albert Ulmer, age 38, was listed as a dairyman. He resided in Perkins Township with his wife Louise, and their four daughters. Jacob Ulmer a wagonmaker, age 39, lived in Sandusky, Ohio with his wife Susan, and brother Florian. Albert and Jacob Ulmer both stated that they had been born in Germany.
Please be sure to label your family photographs so that in the future, your descendants will be able to know who the people are in the family pictures that you may pass on to them. Even though we do not know exactly which Ulmer family is pictured in these cartes-de-visite, it is delightful that we have pictures of German immigrants in our collections. It seems that Mr. Ulmer adapted well to his new home in Erie County, Ohio. Hundreds of early residents of Sandusky and Erie County came from many different parts of the world, helping to create the proverbial “melting pot.”
Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Diners were very popular throughout the Midwestern U.S. in mid-twentieth century, and were known for tasty and quick meals at a low price, often cooked to order for each customer. Of course diners still exist today in some locations. We have a few photographs of local diners in the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center’s collection of historical photographs. Pictured above is Jean’s Diner, in business from 1939 to the 1960s at the corner of Warren and Monroe Street.
Stadium Diner, now where Berardi’s Family Kitchen is located, was in operation from 1941 to the 1980s at 1019 West Perkins Avenue. Like many other diners, the main structure of the Stadium Diner was made from former interurban cars.
When the YMCA was on Washington Row, Mary’s Diner (later June’s Diner) was located nearby at 151 East Washington Row. The diner was razed in 1967.
This advertisement from Mary’s Diner, which appeared in the Sandusky Register Star News of July 1, 1943, reminds us of the time during the World Wars when the Office of Price Administration required some businesses to remain closed on Sundays. Often known as the “Blue Laws,” these regulations varied greatly, depending on the time frame and location; many states imposed Blue Laws for traditional and religious reasons. During World War II, however, laws such as these were seen as a conservation measure for the war effort. In 1943, Mary stated that she would be going fishing on Sundays, and the Diner would remain closed.
Visit the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center to learn more about the historic people and businesses of Sandusky and Erie County.
Sunday, January 28, 2018
The image above shows employees of the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company, also known as the “Big Four.” This railroad was formed in in June of 1889, by the consolidation of several railroads. Railroads have been important to Sandusky, because of the many jobs they provided, and for allowing a wide variety of raw materials as well as finished products to be transported in and out of the region.
In the 1890s, the passenger depot for the Big Four was located on the north side of Water Street east of Lawrence Street. The shops for the Big Four were situated on the city’s west side, east of Harrison Street, and just north of Adams Street. These views from the Sanborn Insurance Map of 1893 give an idea of the layout of the yard.
In the view above you can see the turntables, which allowed for railroad cars to be moved in and out of the various wood shops and machine shops. Skylights illuminated the carpenter’s shop and the locomotive works. Other shops included the pattern loft, machine shop, and wood planing shop. A blacksmith’s forge was onsite so repairs could be made to hardware related to the railroad cars, doors, and boilers. A large lumber yard was adjacent to the carpenter’s shop.
To the west of the main shops were smaller buildings which housed the brass foundry, tin shop, spring forge shop, and wood house.
It took a large number of skilled workers to keep the railroad cars and boilers in good working order in the nineteenth century. The 1893 Sanborn Map helps us to clearly see the many different aspects of this operation. Railroads were a key component to the infrastructure and economy of Ohio and the nation.
Below is another photograph from the historical collections of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center which features of a large group of employees of the Big Four in 1901. It appears that at that time there was a Big Four shop on the west end of Market Street.
Thursday, January 25, 2018
Though not all the apartment buildings are still in existence, many of the named apartments buildings listed in the 1941 Sandusky City Directory are still providing homes for Sandusky residents. Pictured above is the Ramsey Apartment building located at 335 Central Avenue.
The Erie Apartments at 1517 Columbus Avenue were built in 1919 for employees of the Erie Tire and Rubber Company. Though the company was only in Sandusky for a few years, the apartment building still stands. The apartment building at 515 West Washington Street was once the home of the William T. Townsend family.
Mentions of apartment buildings often appeared in the society pages of the local newspapers. The Sandusky Star Journal of March 28, 1911 reported that Mrs. John Renner had recently been hostess to the Fortnightly Club in her apartment at the Feick Flats, and Mrs. W.H. Nolte served an elegant lunch when the L.G.A. met at her apartment at the Willdred.
At least two of the buildings from the 1941 listing have been named to the National Register of Historic Places, the Willdred Flats and the Mertz apartments. The apartments at 310-303 East Washington Street were listed as the Converse-Mertz Apartments in the National Register.
According to the Ohio Historic Places Dictionary (Somerset Publishers Inc., 1999), the Greek Revival style apartment building was built by Charles Converse, an early dry goods merchant in Sandusky. Andrianna Van Deusen purchased the property about 1867, and ran it as a boarding house. Sandusky businessman John Mertz purchased the building in 1912 and remodeled it. The property remained in the Mertz family until the 1960s.