To the north is the intersection of Follett and Caldwell Streets.
Saturday, June 23, 2018
Have you ever wondered for whom the streets near the U.S. Post Office in
were named? The Post Office sits near
the corner of Parish and Caldwell Streets. Sandusky
Samuel B. Caldwell was once the Mayor of Sandusky, and he served as an Associate Judge of the
Pleas Court in the 1800s. His portrait is now
housed at the .
F. D. Parish was an early
lawyer. He became well known as an
abolitionist and was an active agent of the Underground Railroad. Sandusky
To the north is the intersection of Follett and Caldwell Streets.
Oran Follett was active in the railroad, politics, and he published the Lincoln-Douglas Debates with Frank Foster. You can tour the former home of Oran Follett, which is now the
located at the corner of
and Wayne Adams Street.
M.F. Cowdery was
first Superintendent of Schools. His brother and brother-in-law were key developers of an improved chalk for use in school classrooms, which
eventually led to the formation of the American Crayon Company. Sandusky
Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Sandusky undertaker Charles J. Krupp, was in charge of local arrangements when the 89th annual convention of the Funeral Directors’ and Embalmers’ Association of Ohio was held at Cedar Point in 1919. The convention met from June 18 to June 20. About 300 members attended the convention, along with several exhibitors of coffins, funeral cars, burial garments, burial vaults, and other items related to the funeral industry.
In preparation for the convention, a large number of coffins were transported to Cedar Point on board the G.A. Boeckling.
Meetings were held in the convention hall at Cedar Point. Rev. C.J. Alspach gave the invocation when the convention opened on Wednesday, June 18.
A reception was held on Wednesday evening in the Exhibit Hall, which allowed attendees to visit with the various manufacturers represented at the convention. Due to the large number of representatives, several exhibits were on display in the former Crystal Rock Castle, which had ceased serving food and beverages due to prohibition laws.
On June 19, Clifford G. Askin of Indianapolis gave an address entitled “Methods of the Funeral Director,” during which he encouraged members of the association to use better quality goods and adopt a stricter credit system. An article in the June 18, 1919 issue of the Sandusky Register reported that the convention featured one of the most extensive exhibits ever on display at any convention held at Cedar Point. The coffins, funeral cars, and other products on exhibit were valued at $100,000 (well over a million dollars in today's money).
Sunday, June 17, 2018
This image of the Sandusky Baseball Field is from page 72 of the 1905 Sanborn Map, which was added as an additional page in January, 1911. The Sandusky Base Ball Park was then located at South Columbus Avenue, adjacent to the old interurban car barns. From about 1907 to 1912, the ball field at this location was known as League Park. An article in the March 19, 1907 issue of the Sandusky Register reported that John H. Smith was the contractor for the grandstand. It was built in three sections, and could hold 1200 people. The roof of the grandstand was to be patterned after Cleveland’s League Park, with the slant in front to keep water out. The bleacher section could seat 2000 people. There were to be no horses on the grounds, but automobiles were allowed. The Lake Shore Electric Railway Company built a spur track to the ballpark, so that anyone who wanted to attend the ball games could arrive on the trolley. Box seats sold for thirty five cents.
The first game at League Park on April 22, 1907 was between the Detroit American League team and the Sandusky Schlemans. Ty Cobb was then relatively unknown, playing in right field for Detroit. Detroit beat the Sandusky team 18 to 1. The Sandusky Schlemans went on to play several semi-pro and minor league teams from throughout the midwestern U.S.
In early November of 1907, the Sandusky Athletic Club defeated the Toledo Colts on a muddy field at League Park.
By 1912, League Park, Sandusky’s only enclosed athletic grounds were being dismantled. In 1931, the Sandusky Merchants amateur baseball league had a team that played baseball on the site of the old League Park, then known as Esmond Athletic Field. Below is an advertisement for a doubleheader between the Cleveland Rosenblooms and the Sandusky Cloverleafs in August of 1931.
A news article in the sports section of the April 3, 1936 Sandusky Register reported that the Esmond Athletic Field was to be the home to the Sandusky baseball club of the Ohio State League. Plans were made to renovated the stands, and have night lighting to allow for evening ball games. Baseball and football games, as well as boxing and wrestling matches were all held at the Esmond Field. Notes in our historical files indicate that there was a large Esmond Dairy sign painted on the wall of the grandstand. By 1938, the field was known as Medusa Park, and eight class A and B teams played under the auspices of the Sandusky Baseball Federation. This article from the Sandusky Register of August 30, 1938, reported about an exhibition at Medusa Park in which Jesse Owens ran hurdles, while locals Geno Balconi and Jim Rosemund ran without jumping hurdles. Jesse Owens beat all the competitors.
It is believed that the grandstand at the former baseball field on South Columbus Avenue were torn down in the 1940s. By the mid-1950s, there were circuses held on that site. The many different baseball teams throughout Sandusky’s history played in a variety of locations, and were affiliated with many different leagues through the years.
To learn more about baseball in Sandusky, see the Charles E. Frohman index to the Sandusky Register and Star Journal housed on microfilm at the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center. The heading “baseball”will lead you to dozens of articles about baseball games played in Sandusky. Stop by the Reference Services area for more information.
Thursday, June 14, 2018
In June of 1935 members of the Sandusky Merchants’ Association mailed invitations to all residents of Put in Bay, Lakeside, Middle Bass Island, North Bass Island and Kelleys Island asking them to bring their families to downtown Sandusky for “Sandusky Day” on Saturday, June 15. The Merchants’ Association paid for tickets for the steamer Chippewa. Put in Bay residents left South Bass Island at 7 a.m. and proceeded to the other locations, and arrived in Sandusky at 9 a.m. The Chippewa took the guests home at 9 p.m.
All day long Sandusky merchants offered special sale prices. Raffle coupons were issued to each shopper for every 25 cent purchase. Local residents as well as those visiting from the Lake Erie Islands area participated in Sandusky Day. Prizes were given away at Jackson Junior High School on June 17, and a listing of the prizes won, along with the names of the winners, were reported in the Sandusky Register on June 18, 1935
William Smith, of Putnam Street, won a dressed chicken from the Libhurt Market. Victor McKillips, from Kelleys Island, won a pair of slippers from Nobil’s Shoe Store. Louise Miller, of Columbus Avenue, won a fancy basket of fruit from Riccelli’s produce store.
To read the names of all the prize winners, see the June 18, 1935 issue of the Sandusky Register, now on microfilm. An article in the June 14, 1935 issue of the Sandusky Register stated that it was believed the free excursion provided by Sandusky’s Retail Merchants was “an important factor in the maintenance of the pleasant relations existing between the Islands and Sandusky.”
Monday, June 11, 2018
Long before NASA was established, and men landed on the moon, people were curious about outer space. To aid this curiosity, in 1946 the Moon Rocket ride opened at Cedar Point. (It only remained for a few seasons; apparently people had learned enough about space travel.) An article in the June 13, 1946 issue of the Sandusky Register Star News reported that other features of the 1946 Cedar Point season included many “big bands” in the Cedar Point Ballroom, a fun house, renovations to the Hotel Breakers lobby and soda grill, and a fresh coat of paint and new lifeboats for the G.A. Boeckling.
To read a more about the history of Cedar Point, see the book Cedar Point: The Queen of American Watering Places, by David W. and Diane DeMali Francis (Amusement Park Books, 1995), available at the Sandusky Library.
Friday, June 08, 2018
Born in Canandaigua, New York in 1847, Clarence Eugene Stroud was the son of Dr. Charles Taylor Stroud and the former Lucy Fidelia Allen. Dr. C. Eugene Stroud was educated as both a physician and dentist. He graduated from the Detroit Homeopathic College in 1872, and the Wisconsin Dental College in 1873. For several years, Dr. Stroud served on the Sandusky Board of Health. In the 1890 Sandusky City Directory, Dr. Stroud had both lived and worked at 412 Columbus Avenue. His name also appeared in the listing for C.T. Stroud and Son, Dentist, at 410 Columbus Avenue. Working as both a doctor and a dentist must have kept Dr. Stroud quite busy!
If you look closely, you can read the sign “Stroud and Son, Dentist” on the sign in the picture of the doorway at what used to be known as 410 Columbus Avenue:
Below is a picture that shows several stone buildings on Columbus Avenue, which were all owned at one time by Eleutheros Cooke.
On December 13, 1907, Dr. Stroud was seriously injured at his dental office when a vulcanizing machine (probably used to make dentures) exploded. He died from his injuries on January 2, 1908, at the age of 60; he was survived by his wife, Zenobia, a son, a daughter, a sister, and a brother, also a dentist. Dr. C. Eugene Stroud was buried in the family lot at Sandusky’s Oakland Cemetery.
Tuesday, June 05, 2018
This postcard, sent from Venice, Ohio, on May 31, 1918, was sent to a newly enlisted U.S. soldier named Charlie J. Grahl.
The message from Frank read: "Hello Charlie - Received your card today. Glad you got there safe. We are all well here. Anna & Lill went to the circus today. Rummy feels pretty lonesome no one to play pool with him. Best regards from all, Frank."
Local World War I records show two soldiers named Charles Grahl, both former residents of Venice, Ohio. These service records are included in the database, Ohio Soldiers in World War I, available at Ancestry Library Edition.
Charlie returned to Venice, Ohio after military service, and according to the 1940 U.S. Census, he was a “tipple man” at the cement mill. Undoubtedly, this meant that he was employed at the Medusa Cement Company in Bay Bridge, Ohio, which employed hundreds of Erie County residents from 1893 until it closed in the early 1960s.
Charles J. Grahl died in 1957, and he was buried at the Venice Cemetery. This copy of an application for a headstone, from Ancestry Library Edition, provides us with more details about his life and military service.
Visit the Sandusky Library to access Ancestry Library Edition to learn more about the military ancestors in your own family tree.
Saturday, June 02, 2018
Pictured above are several members of
’s graduating class of 1872. In the
front row are: Lula Hayes; Sarah Lawler; Charles McLouth and Antonia Springer.
In the middle row are: Hattie Miller; Frank Barker; Emma Hages; Robert Walsh
and Eunice Williams. In the back row are: Ella Rayl ; Alex Camp; Emma Alder;
Hattie Keech; Henry Moore; Laura Wetherell; Alice Kinney and Ella Kelham. Sandusky High
By 1876, Ella Kelham was an elementary school teacher for Sandusky City Schools. Frank Barker became the city clerk of
and he married Laura Cooke, the
niece of Civil War financier Jay Cooke. ( Sandusky Barker Street in was named for Frank Barker’s
ancestors.) Hattie Keech was the daughter of Sandusky businessman and philanthropist, C.C.
Keech. She would go on to marry Edmund H. Zurhorst, who was very active in politics in Sandusky . Alice Kinney was the daughter of
newspaper publisher J.C. Kinney, and Alex Camp’s ancestors were instrumental in
the founding of the city of Sandusky .
These students were all born before the Civil War, and most lived well into the
twentieth century. They saw many changes
in technology in their lifetimes. Sandusky
To see more historical photographs from
Sandusky and Erie
County, visit the , on the lower
level of the Sandusky Library. Sandusky Library