A blog dedicated to the discussion of topics relating to the history of Sandusky and Erie County, Ohio, the Lake Erie Islands, and nearby communities; inspired by the collections of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center and Follett House Museum. A service of the Sandusky Library.
Presented by the Sandusky Library, Sandusky, Ohio
A view of the library, circa 1905
Today's Sandusky Library
Voted a Best Genealogy Blog
Search the Sandusky Library Local History Collections:
Follow this link to view images from the library's collections
We all know that so many of us love our dogs, but we probably seldom think about our ancestor's dogs -- they loved their dogs, too! Here are a few images from the Sandusky Library's historical photograph collections showing dogs and the people who loved them.
Bookplates (aka Ex Libris) have been a popular method throughout history for book owners to create a personalized method of showing ownership of their books. The creative quality and informational value of many bookplates has inspired collectors and artists.
Mrs. Ione Klenk Wiechel, a longtime member of the American Society of Bookplate Collectors and Designers, shared her hobby of collecting bookplates, calligraphy, and
miniature books with the community through an exhibit at the Sandusky Area Cultural Center from November
through December of 1979.
After her death Mrs. Wiechel’s bookplate collection was
donated to the Sandusky Library. The collection features
bookplates owned by individuals and businesses of Sandusky and Erie County.
bookplate once belonged to Judge Ebenezer Lane, former Common Pleas Judge and
Judge of Supreme Court of Ohio:
Esther Sloane Curtis was the granddaughter of abolitionist and
former Sandusky Mayor Rush Sloane:
Author and local historian, Charles E. Frohman, was a past
president of the Ohio Historical Society. His bookplate reflects his many
interests, including nautical history, the theater, and the history of Sandusky
industry. Mr. Frohman’s bookplate was designed by Norman Lonz and Harold
Daisy A. Kugel was graduated from Sandusky High School in
1896. She earned a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Michigan in 1900,
and graduated from Columbia University in 1909. From 1911 to 1927, Miss Kugel
served as Director of Household Arts at University of Wisconsin-Stout.
There are several more
bookplates in the holdings of the Sandusky Library Archives
Research Center. Ask for assistance at the Reference Services desk if you are interested
in viewing Ione Klenk Wiechel’s bookplate collection.
A promotional pamphlet entitled Number Please was
distributed by the Sandusky Telephone Company about 1901. The phrase of course was a common expression used by operators of that time, and became recognized in popular culture; in volume 19 of the journal Telephony, for example, a brief article reported on a recent "dancing party" held in 1910 for the employees of the Sandusky Telephone Company, where all of the musical numbers performed at the party were named for various terms related to using the telephone, including a waltz with the title Number Please.
The booklet of the same name gave
details about the newly remodeled offices of the company, then on the fourth
floor of the Kingsbury Block in
The Sandusky Telephone Company at that time claimed to
render to its patrons “the highest
efficiency in service and at the same time obtaining the greatest economy in
operating and maintenance expense.” All subscribers had recently been given
new telephones. Here are some examples of the telephones used by customers in the very early twentieth century:
The picture below from Number Please shows five
operators handling a total of 1000 telephone lines.
The cable tower was made of steel, and was capable of
withstanding immense strain. Twelve 100-pair cables led from the main
telephone office to various points throughout Sandusky.
Historical data on page 21 of the pamphlet states
that the Sandusky Telephone Company incorporated early in 1895, with 299
telephones in service. At that time, there were only two rooms for the exchange
and office. The new telephone offices in 1901 occupied ten rooms and basement.
In 1916 the Sandusky Telephone Company was re-organized into the Sandusky Home
Telephone Company. In 1922 that company merged with Ohio
Bell. In today’s world of wireless communication and smartphones, it is easy to forget that telephone service was so different in the early 1900s.
Today's Google Doodle, on the Google search page, commemorates the 156th anniversary of the birth of Norwegian explorer and humanitarian Fridtjof Nansen.
What does a Norwegian polar explorer have to do with Sandusky? You will find a clue on the lower left of the Doodle, below the drawing of Mr. Nansen. The image of an ancient viking ship is used to symbolize the ship that Nansen and his crew used on his explorations around Greenland and the polar region. The name of his ship was the Fram, which was the namesake for the first literary journal of Sandusky High School and later the high school yearbook. The English translation of fram is forward.
George W. Paine was the freight agent for the Lake
Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad, and its successor the New York Central,
for almost fifty years. From the early 1880s until the family moved to
California in 1922, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Paine lived in Sandusky, Ohio. Mr.
Paine served as the organist for the Congregational Church, and Mrs. Paine was
active in the Martha Pitkin Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
During the Civil War, he served in Company D of the 101st
Ohio Volunteer Infantry. When Fremont and other cities in northern Ohio were
affected by severe flooding in March of 1913, Agent Paine worked with local
officials and organizations to transport food, clothing and other supplies over
the New York Central railroad lines at no cost.
Local citizens and community organizations gathered
supplies in a room at the Hubbard building on Water Street. A special car from
the New York Central Railroad took the supplies to Fremont on March 27, 1913.
Sandusky’s Company B, Sixth Regiment of the Ohio National Guard was also
ordered to duty to assist in providing aid to flood victims.
Friends and family met at the New York Central
station in August, 1922 to see the Paine family off to their new home in
California. George W. Paine died in California on March 3, 1926. He was long
remembered for his many years of service and leadership during his long career
with the railroad in Sandusky.
This picture of the Good Samaritan Aid Society, Number
117625, of the Ebenezer Baptist Church likely was taken in the 1930s or 1940s. The
organization was made up of both men and women, all who worked together to aid
those in need within the congregation and community. The group was organized in
the 1920s. In the close up view below, you can see the banner for the organization.
In 1934, the people of Ebenezer Baptist organized another service club, known as the Busy Bee Missionary Circle. This
group, made up mostly of senior women, worked to raise money for college
scholarships and church repairs, and had prayer services for the sick.
article in the Sandusky Register of
February 15, 1998, reported that Ebenezer Baptist Church was the third
African-American church in Sandusky. The Second Baptist Church had been founded in
1849, and the St. Stephen A.M.E. Church was started in 1856. In the article,
Rev. Rufus G.W. Sanders stated that “Churches are the center of the black
community and black culture. It’s been the bridge between the Afro-American
culture and the American culture.”
Ebenezer Baptist Church celebrated its 90th anniversary with
a banquet at the Crystal Room in July of 2010. The church originally was on South Depot Street, but moved to 1215 Pierce Street in the 1970s.
The Erie-Huron County C.A.C. and HeadStart Preschool is now located at the site
of the former Ebenezer Baptist Church.
Visit the Sandusky Library Archives
Research Center to learn more about the churches of Sandusky and Erie County,
Ohio in the Church Collections.
Harriet C. West was born in Sandusky,
Ohio in 1861 to Abel Kingsbury West and his wife, the former Caroline E. Wood.
Abel K. West was an early dry goods
merchant in Sandusky and operator of the West House hotel with his
brother William T. West in the 1850s. After the death of her parents, Harriet (also known as Hattie) resided with the family of her sister, Mary West Anderson.
In the 1890s, Harriet C. West served as
the secretary of the Library Building Fund Association. At the time of the
Sandusky Library’s grand opening in July of 1901, Miss West was the treasurer
of the Board of Trustees of the Library Association, and was on the local
reception committee when the Ohio Library Association held its seventh annual
meeting at the Sandusky Library from October 1 to October 4, 1901.
On April 13, 1916, Miss Harriet C.
West passed away at her sister's home on Wayne
Street. She had been ill with pneumonia.
Funeral services were held at the Anderson residence on April
15, 1916, with the Rev. C. Argylle Keller officiating. Miss West had been a
member of the First Presbyterian Church and the Martha Pitkin Chapter of the
Daughters of the American Revolution. An obituary which appeared in the April
13, 1916 issue of the Sandusky Star
Journal stated about Miss West, “For years she had been an active member of
the library board and a great worker for that institution.” Harriet C. West was
buried in the West family lot in the North Ridge section of Oakland Cemetery.