Industrial Arts students had a new large classroom, equipped with tools and workbenches:
Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Harley Hoffman took this aerial picture of Sandusky High School from an airplane in 1957. Notes with the original picture state that the airplane was going 200 miles an hour at the time the picture was taken. The new
opened at Sandusky High School 2130 Hayes Avenue in 1957.
Prior to that time, Sandusky High Students attended school at what later became . Large areas of farmland can be seen in this
picture. Now the portion of Perkins Avenue opposite Sandusky High School is
filled with restaurants and other businesses. The longer building to the east
of Sandusky High School was Mark’s Market, later known as Mark’s Pick-n-Pay.
The small building opposite the high school was the Stadium Dairy Bar, which
was run by John J. Poggiali. Adams Junior
Harley W. Hoffman had a photography business in nearby Castalia in the 1950s. Mr. Hoffman took several other photographs of
in 1957. A large crowd can
be seen gathered in front of the school for the flag raising at the dedication
of the new school building. Sandusky High School
Industrial Arts students had a new large classroom, equipped with tools and workbenches:
Here is a view of the band room in 1957:
A brand new cafeteria awaited the incoming students:
to see hundreds of
historic photographs of the people and
places of our local community. We appreciate the generosity of the many donors
who bequeathed the numerous historic
documents, books and photographs now housed in our collection. Sandusky Library
Saturday, September 27, 2014
The postcard above is from the historical postcard collection of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center. Founded in 1872 as the Third National Bank, the Third National Exchange Bank was at 220 West Market Street from 1914 until the mid-1960s. Henry Millott was the architect, and G. William Doerzbach and Brother were the contractors for this building. According to the book, Treasure by the Bay, by Ellie Damm, the Third National Exchange Bank building was built in the Neoclassic style. The portico features Ionic style shafts, and double cornucopias are located above the entrance. The post card below, which pictures the interior of the Third National Exchange Bank, was created by the Alexander Manufacturing Company.
Local photographer Jay Hoehlein took this photograph at the bank in the summer of 1936:
In 1961 the bank’s name was listed as the Third National Bank of Sandusky, Ohio. By 1965 the Third National Bank of Sandusky, Ohio had its downtown office at 220 West Market Street, and a Perkins office at the corner of Columbus and Perkins Avenues. In 1969, there were three locations of the Third National Bank, but the bank was no longer in operation at 220 West Market Street. In 1993, the Third National Bank of Sandusky began operating under the "National City" name when it was consolidated with National City Bank in Cleveland. National City was acquired by PNC in 2008. The building at 220 West Market Street in downtown Sandusky is now home to the Bailey Legal Group.
Wednesday, September 24, 2014
In 1890 and 1891, Jasper Dean McFall operated a store in
Sandusky at 121 Columbus Avenue.
He sold clothing and gents’ furnishings.
The business was begun by J.D. McFall’s father, William H. McFall, Sr.
In 1882 there were two men’s clothing stores operated by the elder Mr. McFall, one
at 107 Columbus Avenue, and one at 708 Water Street.
From about 1886 to 1888, the store was run by the McFall brothers, three sons of the elder Mr. McFall. J.D. McFall was the manager of the McFall Brothers store in 1888, and by 1890, he was the proprietor. This advertisement for J.D. McFall’s store appeared in the March 31, 1891 issue of the
Register. The surname McFall surrounds the advertisement which highlights
spring suits and overcoats. Sandusky
According to an article in the February 25, 1922 issue of the Sandusky Register, in 1897, J.D. McFall moved from
Sandusky to Detroit, where he studied music. He moved to Washington
D.C. and later to the state of Oregon. While in Washington D.C., he was the director of music at the . He served in a
similar position at the Sunnyside Methodist
until poor health forced him to retire. At
a memorial service for President William McKinley, held at Chase’s Theater on October 6, 1901, J.D. McFall
was in charge of the music for the service. Arleta
Sunday, September 21, 2014
A public fountain was at the foot of Columbus Avenue in downtown Sandusky in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, not far from the waterfront. In the picture above, the Post, Lewis and Radcliffe building, which dates back to 1866, can be seen just to the east of the fountain. Ellie Damm wrote in her book Treasure by the Bay, (Bucknell University Press, 1989), that the square where the fountain was located was often filled with activity as people gathered to meet the trains and boats as they arrived in Sandusky.
The photograph below was taken sometime before 1903. The steamer "Arrow" is at dock; the "R.B. Hayes" is approaching (or leaving) the dock; another unidentified steamship is visible in the background, heading out into the bay. A fruit stand is at the lower right of the image; a newsstand/cigar shop is next to the dock; the Sandusky Fish Co. is slightly visible at the extreme left of the image.
We know that this photograph was taken in either 1903 or 1904:
Just past the railroad tracks, to the northwest of the fountain, the building with the large balcony was the Terminal Inn. This business opened in 1903 and was destroyed by a massive fire on June 21, 1904. Today a modern fountain at the Schade-Mylander Plaza welcomes visitors to historic downtown Sandusky.
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Early in September of 1908, William Howard Taft gave a speech in Sandusky in 1908 that was generally regarded as the first speech of his active campaign for the U.S. presidency as the Republican candidate in 1908. On September 7, after arriving in Sandusky aboard the Lake Shore Electric Railway from Fremont, Judge William Howard Taft, General J. Warren Kiefer, General Henry Corbin, along with Mrs. Taft and young Charlie Taft, were driven from the Lake Shore Electric station to the residence of Edward H. Marsh, where the visitors would spend the night. A representative from the Sandusky Register met Judge Taft at the station, where he was greeted with the well known “Taft smile.” The party had dinner at the Marsh home at 6 p.m.
Sandusky photographer W.A. Bishop
took this picture of William Howard Taft, General Kiefer, Edward Marsh and
Edward Lea Marsh, during Taft’s visit to .
On the morning of September 8, 1908, Judge Taft, General Kiefer, and General Corbin, went to the Ohio Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home, where they gave addresses of a non-political nature.
Judge and Mrs. Taft visited several of the residents of the Home who were too frail to leave their rooms to hear Taft’s speech in person. At noon, Judge Taft addressed a large audience at the Opera House in
The theater was filled, with only a few seats left vacant. Judge Taft spoke for thirty minutes, having
his speech interrupted with applause several times. According to a lengthy
article in the September 9, 1908 issue of the Sandusky Register, Taft stated that if elected “he would spend his
time suggesting to Congress means by which the Rooseveltian policies might be
clinched” After his speech, Judge Taft shook hands with several ladies and
gentlemen who gathered around him on stage at the Opera House. Judge Taft
departed from the Big Four station on the 1:40 p.m. train, on his way to make
more speeches in the Sandusky
area. Pictured below is William Howard Taft in his top hat, surrounded by
several people as he got ready to leave Cincinnati . Sandusky
Of course, William Howard Taft did go on to win the election in November of 1908, defeating William Jennings Bryan. To read more details about William Howard Taft’s visit to Sandusky, see the September 8 and September 9, 1908 issues of the Sandusky Register, available on microfilm at the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center. The text of the speech presented by William Howard Taft in Sandusky was reprinted in the book Political Issues and Outlooks: Speeches Delivered Between August, 1908 and February, 1909, by William Howard Taft (Doubleday, Page and Co., 1909.)
Monday, September 15, 2014
Edmund Burritt King was born on a farm in July 4, 1850 in Medina County, Ohio to Cyrus and Harriet (Bennett) King. After attending the Oberlin Academy and Baldwin-Wallace University, Edmund studied law. He was admitted to the Ohio Bar in 1873, and in 1875 he moved to Sandusky, where he practiced law for twenty years. He was associated with several attorneys at various times in Sandusky, including W.W. Bowen, S.F. Taylor, E.M. Culver, and Lynn Hull. From 1894 to 1899, Mr. King was Judge of the circuit court for the Sixth Judicial Circuit of Ohio. Judge King is pictured below with fellow circuit judges Robert S. Parker and George S. Haynes.
Late in 1933, Judge King began suffering from heart problems. He passed away from heart disease on December 30, 1934. Judge King was survived by his wife, the former Edith E. Hackett, daughter Cora King Graves, and son Clifford King. Funeral services for Judge E.B. King were held at the Masonic Temple under the auspices of the Thirty-third Degree Scottish Rite Masons, as well as at the Presbyterian Church with the Rev. A.J. Funnell officiating. Burial was at Oakland Cemetery. Shortly after Judge King’s death, Judge Roy Williams stated that “it will be a long time before Erie County again has a citizen of the outstanding principles of Judge King. His predominating character was his unselfishness. There was not a movement in the community that he was not to the fore in. Sandusky has lost one of its finest friends.” You can read Judge King’s history of the early years of the Erie County Bar Association in chapter 25 of Hewson Peeke’s book A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio (1916).
Saturday, September 13, 2014
“A Day for Genealogists” will be featured at the Sandusky Library on Saturday, September 20. From 10:30 to noon, learn how to get started in researching your family tree. From 1 to 5 p.m., the Sandusky Library will host a “Lock In” for genealogists. The library will open only to those registered for the Genealogy Lock In. Computers will be available, and you may search through the library’s holdings of local and family history books and microfilms. Call 419-625-3834 to register for all or part of the Day for Genealogist.
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Wallace Glenwright’s long career with Sandusky City Schools covered over thirty years. He arrived in
shortly after his graduation from .
He served as assistant to Mount
Union College ’s head
football coach Bob Whittaker from 1930 to 1940. Later he became the head coach
in football, basketball and golf, and assisted in coaching track. For two
years, Mr. Glenwright was the athletic director. He became assistant principal
High School in 1946, and was named
principal in 1948. In 1957, Mr. Glenwright served as assistant superintendent,
and from 1958 to 1968, he served as superintendent of Sandusky City Schools. He is pictured below in about 1960. Sandusky High School
was opened at the high school in the late 1960s, Mr. Glenwright presided at the dedication
Besides his many roles as an educator, he was active in numerous civic organizations. The picture below was taken at a Lions Club meeting about 1950. Wallace Glenwright is the man on the far right.
In 1991 Wallace C. Glenwright was inducted into the Sandusky High School Athletic Hall of Fame. Charles Wagner wrote in an article in the May 2, 1991 issue of the Sandusky Register that Mr. Glenwright was “a gentleman’s gentleman.”
Wallace Glenwright died on September 4, 1997 at
. A lengthy
obituary honoring Mr. Glenwright appeared in the September 6, 1997 issue of the
Sandusky Register. The article read
in part, “Friends say his qualities overshadowed his honors. Honest, caring,
genuine, and gracious were just a few of the words friends and family used to
describe him.” To read more about Wallace Glenwright, and other local educators
and coaches, visit the Firelands Community
Hospital Sandusky Library Archives
to view historical school yearbooks and
newspapers on microfilm. Sandusky
Monday, September 01, 2014
The warm weather in the summer months in northern
allows for workers in a variety of occupations to get work done that is not
easily accomplished in the cold months of the winter season. Sandusky photographer
W.A. Bishop took the photograph above on July 25, 1908. Employees of the Erie
County Courthouse can be seen looking out at Case equipment used to improve
roads in Erie County. About 1920, Joe Staffler, Henry Scheid, and Fred Staffler
were working on an outside project with a wheelbarrow and shovels. Ohio
In the picture below, taken in the early part of the twentieth century, a group of six men are working on a handcart along the Lake Shore Electric Railway in
. Milan, Ohio
In this undated postcard, several men can be seen alongside an engine of the New York Central Railroad.
Center to view these and thousands of
other historic photographs from Sandusky and . Erie County, Ohio