Wednesday, September 24, 2014

J.D. McFall Men’s Clothing Store

In 1890 and 1891, Jasper Dean McFall operated a store in Sandusky at 121 Columbus Avenue. He sold clothing and gents’ furnishings.  The business was begun by J.D. McFall’s father, William H. McFall, Sr. In 1882 there were two men’s clothing stores operated by the elder Mr. McFall, one at 107 Columbus Avenue, and one at 708 Water Street. 

From about 1886 to 1888, the store was run by the McFall brothers, three sons of the elder Mr. McFall. J.D. McFall was the manager of the McFall Brothers store in 1888, and by 1890, he was the proprietor. This advertisement for J.D. McFall’s store appeared in the March 31, 1891 issue of the Sandusky Register. The surname McFall surrounds the advertisement which highlights spring suits and overcoats.

According to an article in the February 25, 1922 issue of the Sandusky Register, in 1897, J.D. McFall moved from Sandusky to Detroit, where he studied music.  He moved to Washington D.C. and later to the state of Oregon. While in Washington D.C., he was the director of music at the Sunnyside Methodist Church. He served in a similar position at the Arleta Baptist Church, until poor health forced him to retire.  At a memorial service for President William McKinley, held at Chase’s Theater on October 6, 1901, J.D. McFall was in charge of the music for the service.

J.D. McFall died at his home near Jennings Lodge, Oregon on February 5, 1922, at the age of 52. He was fondly remembered by Sandusky residents, who recalled his fine baritone voice.

No comments: