Saturday, September 27, 2014
Postcards of the Third National Exchange Bank
The postcard above is from the historical postcard collection of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center. Founded in 1872 as the Third National Bank, the Third National Exchange Bank was at 220 West Market Street from 1914 until the mid-1960s. Henry Millott was the architect, and G. William Doerzbach and Brother were the contractors for this building. According to the book, Treasure by the Bay, by Ellie Damm, the Third National Exchange Bank building was built in the Neoclassic style. The portico features Ionic style shafts, and double cornucopias are located above the entrance. The post card below, which pictures the interior of the Third National Exchange Bank, was created by the Alexander Manufacturing Company.
Local photographer Jay Hoehlein took this photograph at the bank in the summer of 1936:
In 1961 the bank’s name was listed as the Third National Bank of Sandusky, Ohio. By 1965 the Third National Bank of Sandusky, Ohio had its downtown office at 220 West Market Street, and a Perkins office at the corner of Columbus and Perkins Avenues. In 1969, there were three locations of the Third National Bank, but the bank was no longer in operation at 220 West Market Street. In 1993, the Third National Bank of Sandusky began operating under the "National City" name when it was consolidated with National City Bank in Cleveland. National City was acquired by PNC in 2008. The building at 220 West Market Street in downtown Sandusky is now home to the Bailey Legal Group.