Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Harley Hoffman’s Photographs of Sandusky High School in 1957

Harley Hoffman took this aerial picture of Sandusky High School from an airplane in 1957. Notes with the original picture state that the airplane was going 200 miles an hour at the time the picture was taken. The new Sandusky High School opened at 2130 Hayes Avenue in 1957. Prior to that time, Sandusky High Students attended school at what later became Adams Junior High School.  Large areas of farmland can be seen in this picture. Now the portion of Perkins Avenue opposite Sandusky High School is filled with restaurants and other businesses. The longer building to the east of Sandusky High School was Mark’s Market, later known as Mark’s Pick-n-Pay. The small building opposite the high school was the Stadium Dairy Bar, which was run by John J. Poggiali. 

Harley W. Hoffman had a photography business in nearby Castalia in the 1950s. Mr. Hoffman took several other photographs of Sandusky High School in 1957. A large crowd can be seen gathered in front of the school for the flag raising at the dedication of the new school building.

Industrial Arts students had a new large classroom, equipped with tools and workbenches:

Here is a view of the band room in 1957:

A brand new cafeteria awaited the incoming students:

Visit the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center to see hundreds of historic photographs of  the people and places of our local community. We appreciate the generosity of the many donors who bequeathed  the numerous historic documents, books and photographs now housed in our collection.

No comments: