Friday, October 06, 2017
Good Samaritan Aid Society of Ebenezer Baptist Church
This picture of the Good Samaritan Aid Society, Number 117625, of the Ebenezer Baptist Church likely was taken in the 1930s or 1940s. The organization was made up of both men and women, all who worked together to aid those in need within the congregation and community. The group was organized in the 1920s. In the close up view below, you can see the banner for the organization.
In 1934, the people of Ebenezer Baptist organized another service club, known as the Busy Bee Missionary Circle. This group, made up mostly of senior women, worked to raise money for college scholarships and church repairs, and had prayer services for the sick.
An article in the Sandusky Register of February 15, 1998, reported that Ebenezer Baptist Church was the third African-American church in Sandusky. The Second Baptist Church had been founded in 1849, and the St. Stephen A.M.E. Church was started in 1856. In the article, Rev. Rufus G.W. Sanders stated that “Churches are the center of the black community and black culture. It’s been the bridge between the Afro-American culture and the American culture.”
Ebenezer Baptist Church celebrated its 90th anniversary with a banquet at the Crystal Room in July of 2010. The church originally was on South Depot Street, but moved to 1215 Pierce Street in the 1970s. The Erie-Huron County C.A.C. and HeadStart Preschool is now located at the site of the former Ebenezer Baptist Church.
Visit the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center to learn more about the churches of Sandusky and Erie County, Ohio in the Church Collections.