The image below is a graphical depiction of one of earliest log houses in Erie County. Notes which accompanied this item stated: It stood on the Venice Road just off the Castalia Road and was occupied by the family of Isaac Mills. In 1847 it was bought by Orlando Ransom. The latter's daughter, Mrs. William Marshall was born there in 1848. Mrs. William Marshall, the oldest daughter of Orlando Ransom, donated this item to the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center.
In 1841 Orlando Ransom and his wife, the former Louise Newton, moved to Margaretta Township, where they rented a log cabin which was owned by Isaac Mills, a pioneer settler of Erie County. The Mills farm was located at the northwest corner of Homegardner Road and State Route 101. (State Route 101 was known as the Castalia Road in the 1800’s.) The first three Ransom children were born in the log cabin, Emma, William, and Clara Ransom. Shortly after Clara was born, Louise Newton Ransom passed away. This same year, Orlando and the children moved to the farmhouse on the Mills property, after Mr. Mills moved to Sandusky. Orlando married Ellen Osborne in 1852, and they had several children.
Orlando Ransom died in 1902, having outlived both his wives. He was survived by five sons and four daughters. Mr. Ransom was buried at Oakland Cemetery. Visit the Sandusky Library to learn more about the Ransom and Mills families. Ask for assistance at the Reference Services desk.