Saturday, May 11, 2013
The Lagoons at Cedar Point
Around 1904, under the direction of G.A. Boeckling, the Detroit Dredging Company drained the marshy areas of the Cedar Point peninsula, to create a water passageway throughout the park. Through the years, the lagoons were used by park visitors who rented canoes, rowboats, power boats, and pedal boats to travel through the lagoons.
The lagoons were a popular feature of Cedar Point for many decades.
In the early 1960s, the Western Cruise boats, later known as Paddlewheel Excursions, took park guests on a pleasant ride through the lagoons.
Paddlewheel Excursions closed at the end of the 2011 season at Cedar Point, to make way for the Dinosaurs Alive attraction.