Thursday, July 04, 2013
Fourth of July Celebration in Sandusky in 1889
During the latter part of June, 1889, George Frohman spent three days putting up posters all over Erie County, informing residents of the upcoming Fourth of July Celebration to be held in Sandusky. According to a lengthy article in the July 5, 1889 issue of the Sandusky Register, the July Fourth Celebration in 1889 was a huge success. The weather was perfect, and people came from near and far for the festivities. The day’s events began with a concert by the Great Western Band. A parade was held at 10 a.m. and included the bicycle club, the Great Western Band, City Police and Firemen, men from the McMeens Post G.A.R., the G.A.R. Drum Corps, and many city officials. Several businesses had floats in the parade. The Sandusky Wheel Company, Sandusky Box Company, Germania Basket Company, Sandusky Tool Company, Sandusky Ice Company, and many other manufacturers and merchants from Sandusky participated in the parade. The Weier Brothers Scrapyard had a display of junk on a wagon for the parade.
At 1 p.m., the crowd proceded to the Fair Grounds, where Major E.B. King gave a stirring patriotic address. At 2 p.m., a variety of races were held, which included horse and goat races, a bicycle race, foot race, and a farmers’ wagon race. After the races, the crowd was mesmerized as Professor King Burk went 1,000 feet up into the sky in a hot air balloon. After he cut the ropes from the balloon, he abruptly landed in a field near the railroad. The Fouth of July festivities concluded with a display of fireworks held at the Grandstand at the Fair Grounds from 8:30 to 10:30. (In the latter half of the nineteenth century, the Erie County Fair Grounds were located on Wayne Street, south of Scott Street.)
An article in the July 5, 1889 Sandusky Register stated that the “parade was a dandy,” and that the executive committee had done a fine job. Visit the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center to read the complete article about the 1889 Fourth of July festivities, in the 1889 Sandusky Register, now on microfilm.