Thursday, September 12, 2013
John G. Pool, Collector of Customs
John G. Pool was born in
Pennsylvania in 1813.
His family moved to Ohio in 1818, where they
resided in . Later they moved to Perry County Fort Ball,
near . After the death of his parents, he
moved to Port Clinton where he ran a general store, and in 1838, he moved
to Tiffin Sandusky. In
the business directory of the September 22, 1852 issue of the Sandusky Daily Commercial Register, John
Pool was listed as a partner in the Pool & Peck dry goods store. The
business sold dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes, and hardware on Water Street. From
the 1850s through the early 1870s, he was a flour dealer. According
to the July, 1888 edition of the Firelands
Pioneer, Mr. Pool was active in the Underground Railroad, aiding fugitive slaves on their way to
freedom in Canada.
From 1873 to 1881, he served as Collector of Customs, after having
assisted Colonel Haines as deputy collector. His office was on the second floor
of the old Post Office and Customs building in downtown Sandusky at the southwest corner of Columbus Avenue and
West Market Street.
John G. Pool died at his home of
West Washington Street on October 10,
1888. A lengthy obituary appeared in the Sandusky Register on October
11, 1888. The article was filled with the flowery language of the late
nineteenth century. It read, in part, “During his busy life he was ever ready
to serve gratuitously in any good cause for the benefit of the community. Being
a man of deep thought and strong convictions, he was never known to falter in
the path of duty…In public and in private life he commanded the respect of
friends and foes, if foes he had.” The
article ended with, “Why should we mourn the departure of one clothed in robes
of righteousness and panoplied with the fruits of a well spent life?” John G.
Pool was survived by his wife and five children. He was buried in the family
lot at . Oakland Cemetery