The Hotel Rieger was opened by businessman John Rieger at the southeast corner of Jackson and Market Streets in downtown
in 1912. (The former hotel is now
undergoing renovations in order to provide affordable housing units for area
seniors.) The postcard pictured above shows the fifth floor addition which
increased the room count of the hotel. In the postcard, you can see the former Third National Bank building on the east side of the hotel, and to the south of the hotel is the Sandusky . The image below shows the hotel in 1917, before its expansion. Odd Fellows Temple
In this postcard below, from the Rich-Holt Company, the Hotel Rieger is pictured along with the Sloane House and the Boy with the Boot fountain in
. Washington Park
The picture below was taken in the lobby of the Hotel Rieger in 1926, shortly after renovations had been made to the hotel.
The Buckeye League Band marched past the
This picture shows an improved entrance at the Hotel Rieger in 1942.
According to an article in the October 17, 2004 issue of the Sandusky Register, Kermit Price bought the Hotel Rieger in 1964, and converted it to the Sandusky Nursing Home. The nursing home closed in 1989, and in 1992, Mr. Price reopened the building as the Sanduskian Hotel.. The building was sold in 1995. Since then the property has had several different owners, and currently the former hotel is under renovation by The Douglas Company. To read more about the history of hotels in