Saturday, June 27, 2015
Postcards from Lakeside
Lakeside had its beginnings in 1873, when land was cleared for the purpose of creating an area where religious meetings could take place. Soon Lakeside became involved in the Chautauqua Movement, an adult educational movement that provided cultural and educational events for the community. Several vintage postcards from Lakeside are housed in the historical postcard collection of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center. With the popularity of passenger steamers in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Sandusky residents were able to visit Lakeside, just a short distance away from Sandusky when travelling by water. As automobiles became popular, and especially after the construction of the Sandusky Bay Bridge, local residents could drive to Lakeside as well.
Hoover Auditorium is still the site of concerts during the summer season of the Lakeside Association:
This vintage postcard shows the hotel, boathouse, and a portion of the dock at Lakeside:
The pavilion at Lakeside offers a lovely view of Lake Erie on warm summer nights:
Though the exact location was not provided, “Flirtation Walk” at Lakeside is the subject of this postcard:
Visit the SanduskyLibrary to find books on the history of Lakeside and other nearby areas. Lakeside continues the tradition of providing entertainment, lectures, and spiritual opportunities for its hundreds of visitors during the summer months.