Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Dr. William Gaylord
William Gaylord was born on July 31, 1838, and grew up on a farm in Morrow County, Ohio. He began studying medicine with Dr. J.D. Buck of Cincinnati, Ohio in 1878, and later attended the Pulte Medical College in Cincinnati. While studying medicine during the day, he worked as a locomotive engineer during the evening, at the throttle of an express engine that ran from Cincinnati to Richmond.
After graduating from Pulte Medical College in 1883, he soon was appointed as lecturer on histology and microscopy, eventually becoming the Chair of Dermatology and Microscopy at his alma mater. Dr. Gaylord moved to Sandusky in 1885, and was appointed visiting physician to the Good Samaritan Hospital in 1890.
In 1891 Dr. William Gaylord married Miss Loie A. Childs, a Sandusky school teacher and graduate of Oberlin College. Dr. Gaylord had a successful medical practice in Sandusky. He treated people from all walks of life, and provided medical services even to those who were unable to pay him.
On January 4, 1900, Dr. William Gaylord died of apoplexy (what we would call a stroke today). He had been at the bedside of his ill wife, and was weary from overwork just prior to the time of his death. A tribute was paid to the late Dr. Gaylord at the Proceedings of the 36th Annual Session of the Homeopathic Medical Society of the State of Ohio.
Dr. Gaylord was laid to rest at Oakland Cemetery. His wife Loie died of pneumonia on November 13, 1916, leaving behind a son and daughter.