Sunday, March 04, 2018
Leo Wagner, Florist
Leo Wagner began as a florist in Sandusky in 1910. He opened a new shop at the corner of Columbus Avenue and East Monroe Street in 1918. Two interior views of the Wagner flower shop are found in the historical photograph collection of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center.
A company aadvertisement in the November 12, 1927 issue of the Sandusky Register declared that flowers could be telegraphed anywhere.
Mr. and Mrs. Wagner hosted the October 1931 meeting of the Sandusky Garden Club. The program included viewing architect’s drawings of the garden planned on the property of the Wagner home on Monroe Street, adjacent to the flower shop. Later, Mr. Wagner showed club members an exhibit of shrubs and hardy chrysanthemums at his shop. In the photograph below, the flower shop can be seen on the left side of the picture, and the Wagner home is on the right.