Sunday, September 02, 2018
Fruit Jar Marker Booklet from The Commercial Banking and Trust Company
In the early twentieth century, the Commercial Banking and Trust Company was at the northeast corner of Columbus Avenue and East Market Street. In 1922, as a promotion, the bank offered customers a booklet of canning labels to use in marking hand canned fruits, vegetables and preserves.
The booklet described the “Emergency Shelf,” which homemakers could keep stocked with home canned goods, to be used in an emergency or if the homemaker found herself quite busy on any given day.
Recipes were also included:
There are several gummed labels still in excellent condition in the booklet, now in the collections of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center.
In 1923, the Commercial Banking and Trust Company opened a new building at the northeast corner of Washington Row and Columbus Avenue. Unfortunately, the bank failed during the Great Depression.