Martha Pitkin Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution placed a marble tombstone at Oakland Cemetery, to honor the memory of Francis McQuown. According to clippings in a D.A.R. notebook housed at the Archives Research Center of the Sandusky Library, Francis McQuown first enlisted as a private in the Company of Edward Grimes, 7th Battalion, at Cumberland County, Maryland. Mr. McQuown was with the Maryland Militia in 1778, and advanced to the rank of Captain in the Sixth Class, Third Company, Fifth Battalion, Cumberland County, Militia.
In 1849, Francis McQuown came with his family to Sandusky, Ohio. He first married Jane Gregg, with whom he had eight children, and then married Agnes Smythe, and they had three more children. Francis McQuown died in 1855, at the age of 99. His grave is located near the Schade Mausoleum at Oakland Cemetery.
The surname McQuown became to be spelled McEwen in Sandusky. One of the sons of Francis McQuown, Thomas C. McEwen, was the postmaster in Sandusky in the 1860’s. He was initially appointed to be Deputy Postmaster by Abraham Lincoln, according to the Journal of the Proceedings of the United States Senate.
To learn more about the family history of the McQuown/McEwen family, see the book Our McEwen Heritage: The James McEwen Faamily in America Since 1736, available full text at the Family History Archives of Brigham Young University.