In 1976, Irma Schoeneman donated eleven stereographic images to the Sandusky Library’s historical room, now the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center. Stereographs were popular in the latter part of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century. Stereographs are similar to a child’s ViewMaster toy. Two images placed side by side appear to be three dimensional, when viewed through a special viewer.
Below is an image of the Erie County Jail, now a part of the Sandusky Library, about 1885. The building to the left of the jail served as the medical office of Dr. J. D. Parker for many years. This image was created by N. H. Hammond for the American Views series.