A blog dedicated to the discussion of topics relating to the history of Sandusky and Erie County, Ohio, the Lake Erie Islands, and nearby communities; inspired by the collections of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center and Follett House Museum. A service of the Sandusky Library.
Presented by the Sandusky Library, Sandusky, Ohio
A view of the library, circa 1905
Today's Sandusky Library
Voted a Best Genealogy Blog
Search the Sandusky Library Local History Collections:
Follow this link to view images from the library's collections
In 1884, George W. Plummer ran a confectionery at 108 Columbus Avenue, opposite the West House. His advertising card stated that the business made fresh candies every hour. Plummer’s sold several types of candies and a full line of Christmas novelties.
G. Pommert was a grocer who sold Heywood & Williams’ Leader Flour. Russell Heywood operated a mill in Venice, Ohio in the early 1830’s.
The Sandusky Steam Baking Company operated in Sandusky at the corner of Osborne and Carr Streets for many years. The company had several different owners through the years, and it was in business in Sandusky until about 1973.
R. J. Rife sold pianos and organs at 531 Columbus Avenue.
Visit the Sandusky Library to view these and many other historical advertising trade cards from former Sandusky businesses, which are housed in the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center.