Waudell William Hunter was born on September 26, 1907 in Yellow Springs, Ohio. He was one of ten children born to Joseph C. and Ellen (Johnson) Hunter. According to the History of Greene County, Ohio, edited by M.A. Broadstone, Joseph C. Hunter was the son of a slave named Dorcas Hunter and a Cherokee Indian father named Jerome Lilly. In 1934, Waudell W. Hunter graduated from Ohio State University’s School of Medicine. After serving his internship in Provident Hospital in Chicago, Dr. Hunter started practicing medicine in Sandusky in 1935. His office was at 618 West Monroe Street. An article in the August 29, 1935 issue of the Sandusky Register reported that Dr. Hunter was the first person of color to register his license to practice medicine in Sandusky during Probate Judge John Tanney’s six years in office. In an online publication from the U.S. Navy Public Affairs Library, a Navy doctor told of stories he heard about Dr. Hunter accepting farm produce as payment for his services, when his patients did not have the cash to pay for medical services.
On March 28, 1975, Dr. Waudell W. Hunter died at his home on West Monroe Street in Sandusky, after a lengthy illness. Dr. Hunter was survived by his wife, the former Esther Nickens, a daughter, Mrs. Charles Bryant, a son, Waudell W. Hunter, Jr., three grandchildren, and four brothers; Robert Hunter, Joseph Hunter. Judge Clay E. Hunter, and Dr. Lester L. Hunter. Dr. Hunter had been widely respected as a physician and surgeon. He had been a member of the Erie County, State, and National Medical Societies during his forty year medical career. Funeral services for Dr. Waudell W. Hunter were held at the Second Baptist Church in Sandusky, and burial was at Oakland Cemetery.