Sunday, February 20, 2011
Luipold's Barber Shop
John Martin Luipold is pictured above in his barbershop at 1607 Hayes Avenue in June, 1915. A sign above the mirror indicates that Mr. Luipold is a Union Barber. Wildroot is advertised as a remedy for dandruff or eczema. An article in the December 24, 1959 issue of the Sandusky Register stated that Mr. Luipold had retired in 1956 after having been a barber for sixty years. John Martin Luipold was born in Germany, but came to the United States as a young man. He married Anna Marie Schmidt on December 26, 1898 at the parsonage of Zion Lutheran Church.
In another scene from Luipold’s Barber Shop, it appears that some of the regular customers left their shaving mugs at the barber shop, on a rack next to the mirror
To read more about barber shops in Sandusky, see Article 40 in volume II of From the Widow's Walk, by Helen Hansen and Virginia Steinemann.