Friday, August 19, 2011

Jay Moss Home, 414 Wayne Street

The building at 414 Wayne Street was originally built as the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jay O. Moss in 1872.


A portion of the lot was a gift to the couple from Jay’s father, banker A.H. Moss. The remainder of the property was purchased from Oran Follett, who lived nearby at the southeast corner of Wayne and Adams Streets. The Martha Pitkin Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was organized at the Moss home in 1897. In 1899 Mrs. Jay O. (Frances) Moss, who was acquainted with Andrew Carnegie, helped to secure a generous donation from Mr. Carnegie towards the building of the Sandusky Library.

In 1917, the home was purchased by Herbert Farrell, Sr., president of the Farrell-Cheek Foundry. The Sandusky Business Women’s club became the owner of this property in 1926, with financial assistance from the Women’s Building and Restroom Association. Meetings and social gatherings were held here, and apartments in the building were rented, to help pay for the upkeep of the building. For a few years in the 1970’s, the Harlequins owned the property at 414 Wayne Street, but they soon sold the main home to Mr. and Mrs. George Gilbert, who converted the building for use as apartments. The Harlequins retained ownership of the former carriage house for use in the group’s theatrical productions. Since 1984 the former Moss home at 414 Wayne Street has housed offices for several Sandusky attorneys.

No comments: