Sunday, December 30, 2012
Sandusky Register Centennial Edition
On December 31, 1922, the Sandusky Register published a lengthy Centennial Edition of the newspaper. A bound copy of this edition is housed in the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center, and is available on microfilm as well. The Sandusky Register began on April 24, 1822, as a newspaper called The Clarion, edited by David Campbell. The paper was called the Daily Register after Earl Bill and Clark Waggoner took over as editors of the paper in 1851. It was not until Isaac Foster Mack became half-owner in the newspaper in 1869 that the local newspaper in Sandusky was known as the Sandusky Register. The Centennial Edition of the Register covered several aspects of the history of the city of Sandusky, including its importance as a port, its many businesses, and Sandusky’s involvement in steam and railroad transportation. Also discussed in the special edition are music, entertainment, religion, and Sandusky’s rich military history.
President Warren G. Harding sent a letter stating that he was happy to be an old friend of the Register.