By the time this postcard was created by E.B. Ackley, visitors to the Sloane House could reach the hotel by automobile instead of horse-drawn vehicles.
Thursday, November 14, 2013
Vintage Views of the Sloane House Hotel
According to volume one of From the Widow's Walk, by Helen Hansen & Virginia Steinemann, the Sloane House hotel opened November 17, 1881 and was razed in the early 1950s to make way for the Lasalle’s store. The four story brick building was located at the northwest corner of
Columbus Avenue and
Washington Row, now the location of offices. It was named for its owner, Rush Sloane, a well-known lawyer and
abolitionist who served as Erie
Mayor in the 1880s. When it opened, the Sloane House furnished accommodations
for one hundred fifty guests.
The Sloane House was a popular gathering place for business meetings, wedding receptions, and family gatherings. Several businesses were in operation at the street level. A drugstore was the anchor store at the Sloane House for several years. Below, you can see a portion of the H.K. Henkelman and J.H. Bechberger drugstore in a picture from a wintry day in 1909.
An article in the October 25, 1915 issue of the Sandusky Register reported that a play entitled “Emma McChesney and Company” used an exact replica of the lobby of the Sloane House as part of its scenery. A traveler told Sloane House Manager Charles T. Gauvey that when he saw the play, he was tempted to go on stage to go through the swinging door into the bar room, because it looked so much like the Sloane House lobby.
This postcard from the Alexander Manufacturing Company shows a view of side of the Sloane House that faced
. Washington Park
Several items from the Sloane House hotel can be viewed at the
including this china water pitcher. Follett House Museum