The 1882 Sandusky City Directory lists Henry Eichler and Charles A. Lehrer as manufacturers and dealers of German roots and herb bitters. (Unfortunately, we do not know which man is Mr. Eichler and which is Mr. Lehrer.) Their business, Henry Eichler and Co., was located at
420 Decatur Street in .
Sandusky, Ohio Sandusky photographer C.A. Cross created this
advertising card, now housed in the . Sandusky
German root and herb bitters were a digestive aid, and it was felt that they helped “impurities of the blood” and many other health problems. Both Henry Eichler and Charles A. Lehrer were of German descent. Mr. Eichler eventually moved to
where he was a dealer in patent medicines. Both Charles A. Lehrer and his
brother George Lehrer operated drugstores in Cleveland, Ohio Sandusky for several years. In his later
years, Charles A. Lehrer moved to North
Carolina, where he was engaged in vineyard culture.