Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Miss Mary J. Deeley, Educator

Mary Josephine Deeley was born on November 9, 1868, the oldest of six children born to Benjamin and Eliza Jane (Steen) Deeley. Benjamin Deeley was a carpenter who served in both the Ohio 123rd Infantry and Ohio 8th Infantry during the Civil War. Mary graduated from Sandusky High School in 1888. She taught in the Sandusky City Schools for forty two years. From 1918 until her retirement in 1932, Miss Deeley served as the principal of Sycamore School.

According to a 1921 Sandusky Register article, Miss Deeley organized a film festival in order to raise funds for educational equipment and supplies for Sycamore School. George Schade provided posters, films, a film projector as well as a film operator for the big event. From 1:00 until 9:00 p.m. on December 8, 1921, children as well as adults were treated to four consecutive films “of diversified appeal.” The films were shown in the auditorium of Sandusky High School. Over $200 was raised, and was to be used to purchase balls, talking machine records, and other educational items. The December 9, 1921 issue of the Register reported that Miss Deeley stated: “We feel that we cannot sufficiently express our appreciation of Mr. Schade’s kindness.”  During the summer months in the 1930’s, Miss Mary Deeley and her sister Sarah allowed their nephew, future Mount Vernon, Ohio dentist, Dr. George Deeley, to live with them, while he earned money for college by working at Cedar Point. 

On November 8, 1945, Mary J. Deeley passed away at Good Samaritan Hospital in Sandusky. She had outlived all her siblings. She was buried in the family lot at Oakland Cemetery. Mary J. Deeley was a member of the Garden Club, Fortnightly Club, and Grace Episcopal Church.

Here is a picture of Grades 3-A and 4B at Sycamore School, taken in 1919, when Miss Mary Deeley was the principal.

No comments: