Sunday, July 17, 2016
Weyers Station and Matthias Weyer
The small unincorporated community known as Weyers or Weyers Station was located at the junction of Skadden and Bardshar Roads in Section One of Margaretta Township, Erie County, Ohio. It was named for an early resident of the area, Matthias Weyer. An article found in the historical files of the Sandusky Library Sandusky Research Center states that Matthias Weyer, a native of Germany, settled in Margaretta Township in 1852. His son, also named Matthias Weyer was named Postmaster of Weyers in 1895. By 1902, the Post Office at Weyers closed, and the mail that had been delivered there was sent to Parkertown, where Portland Road crosses the railroad. Below is a page from the U.S. Appointment of U.S. Postmasters, 1832-1971, a database from Ancestry Library Edition.
The old Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad, and railroads that superseded it, passed through the community of Weyers, most likely picking up and dropping the U.S. mail as it traveled through. It is said that there was an old quarry south of the railroad crossing, which was used to furnish gravel for the road bed of the first railroad. There was once a grain elevator at Weyers, and a store and lunch counter were in business there for a time.
Matthias Weyer, the son, died in 1902. His will is on file at Erie Probate Court, as well as at Ancestry Library Edition. Below is a portion of his will.
Matthias Weyer, the former Postmaster, was buried in Sandusky’s St. Mary’s Cemetery. Many of his descendants still reside in Erie County, Ohio today.