John A. Loeffler was born in June 1875, to Lucas and Catherine Loeffler. Lucas Loeffler was a native of Germany, and he came to the U.S. in 1869, according to the 1900 U.S. Census for Erie County. By browsing through several years of Sandusky City Directories, we read that John A. Loeffler was in business in Sandusky for over fifty years. Starting as early as 1902, he was employed at his father’s blacksmith business at 131 Tiffin Avenue. By 1910, John was listed as wagon maker, with his business and home located at 101 Lincoln Avenue. Later, John’s occupation was “Manufacturer of Automobile Bodies.” He had a shop at 1412 Lincoln Avenue for many years, but from 1925 through 1936, the business was located at 1102-1104 West Washington Street. The 1954 Sandusky City Directory finds John A. Loeffler as a blacksmith again, at 1412 Lincoln Avenue.
Below is Margaretta Township School bus Number 7, built by J. A. Loeffler.
This 1924 vehicle was built by J. A. Loeffler for the Erney Tire Company in Sandusky. Norbert G. Erney was the President and General Manager of the Erney Tire Company, located at 919 W. Washington Street in 1930.
When the Loeffler shop was on Lincoln Avenue, Mr. Loeffler offered Spring Service.