Sunday, June 05, 2011
Betsy Ross Bread and the H & S Modern Baking Co.
Betsy Ross bread could be purchased at local grocers or from retail wagons that made deliveries in Sandusky. In 1951 a loaf of Betsy Ross bread sold for 18 cents.
The H and S Modern Baking Company was founded in Sandusky about 1918 by Amandus Smith, Sr. and Edward Hartzel, and continued in operation until the early 1950’s. Eventually the H and S Modern Baking Company had facilities at 625 Hancock Street, 221 E. Monroe Street, and 244 Columbus Avenue. The company also had facilities at other locations through the years.