A blog dedicated to the discussion of topics relating to the history of Sandusky and Erie County, Ohio, the Lake Erie Islands, and nearby communities; inspired by the collections of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center and Follett House Museum. A service of the Sandusky Library.
Presented by the Sandusky Library, Sandusky, Ohio
A view of the library, circa 1905
Today's Sandusky Library
Voted a Best Genealogy Blog
Search the Sandusky Library Local History Collections:
Follow this link to view images from the library's collections
Pictured above is a truck that was used by the Sandusky Gas and Electric Company about 1920. The vehicle was a Clydesdale, made in Clyde, Ohio. Between the years of 1917 and 1938 the Clydesville Motor Truck Company in Clyde, Ohio, built trucks and truck bodies. The Sandusky Gas and Electric Company was acquired by the Ohio Public Service Company in 1924, and taken over by the Ohio Edison Company in 1950. In a want ad that appeared in the March 23, 1920 issue of the Sandusky Register, the construction division of the Sandusky Gas and Electric Company were looking to hire employees at a rate of fifty cents hour. The ad promised steady work to those who applied for the job. To learn more about the Clydesdale Motor Truck Company, see the Ohio Memory Project. A search for the term Clydesdale results in several images of Clydesdale vehicles.