In the early part of the twentieth century, for over twenty years Carl L. Osberg operated a drug store on the street level of the Odd Fellows building on Washington Row in downtown
Sandusky. You can see row after row of
bottles lined up behind the counter in the pharmacy.
The soda fountain was a popular feature at Osberg’s.
After selling his business, Carl L. Osberg worked for a time in real estate in
In 1931 Mr. Osberg started the Estmont Company, a manufacturing chemists
business which specialized in cosmetics. The Estmont Company was started in Detroit, but moved to
Vermilion in 1932, where Carl L .Osberg ran the company with his sons Carl and
Leonard Osberg. On April 21, 1947, Carl Osberg died in a nursing home in Lorain. He was buried in
the family lot at Sandusky’s .
The Oakland Cemetery
is fortunate to have been given several vintage pictures of the former Osberg
Drug Store. The interior views of the store remind us of a time gone by. Sandusky Library Archives