Augustus James Gawne was born in 1843 to Charles and Alice Gawne. From about 1880 to 1910, Dr. A. J. Gawne was a physician in
He had his office at several different locations in Sandusky, Ohio Sandusky. In the late 1890s and early 1900s,
his office was on the second floor of the Graham building at the southeast
corner of Columbus Avenue
and Water Street.
On January 12, 1897, A.J. Gawne was issued a patent for a medical device called a Static Generator.
In an 1898 news article, the Portsmouth Daily Times described the Gawne Static Electric Generator as "one of the greatest inventions of the age." The machine was sold to physicians, and was used for the treatment of acute and chronic aches. Dr. Gawne claimed to have success with the static generator in treating rheumatism, neuralgia, headaches, nervousness, and muscle spasms.
Dr. Gawne was married twice. His first wife, the former Ella Warden, died in 1887 when she was only 39 years of age. In 1893, A.J. Gawne married Sophia Louise Alvord, but according to his death record, that marriage ended in divorce. On June 1, 1910, Dr. Gawne died at Good Samaritan Hospital. Funeral services were held at his residence on
Decatur Street, with
the Rev. W. Ashton Thompson officiating.
Dr. Gawne was buried next to his first wife in the North Ridge section of