In 1927 William H. and Martha Hanson established Hanson’s Restaurant at 140 West Water Street in downtown
Sandusky. Mr. Hanson learned how to cook when
he lived in New York.
As a young man he was a cook aboard Great Lakes
steamers, where he earned a good reputation. He was known as “Bill”
to all who knew him. This advertisement for Hanson’s Restaurant, from the May
28, 1927 issue of the Sandusky Star
Journal, features fresh frogs (apparently a popular entree at the time). Special Sunday dinners were served for
Hanson’s was a popular location for business meetings. Several traditional glass bottles of steak sauce, hot sauce, and ketchup can be seen on the table in the lower right section of the picture below. The restaurant was decorated in the fish and wildlife theme.
After the death of Mr. Hanson in 1936, Mrs. Hanson continued operating the restaurant. In the 1940s, for several years, a Hanson’s Annex was at