A blog dedicated to the discussion of topics relating to the history of Sandusky and Erie County, Ohio, the Lake Erie Islands, and nearby communities; inspired by the collections of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center and Follett House Museum. A service of the Sandusky Library.
Presented by the Sandusky Library, Sandusky, Ohio
A view of the library, circa 1905
Today's Sandusky Library
Voted a Best Genealogy Blog
Search the Sandusky Library Local History Collections:
Follow this link to view images from the library's collections
Since the late nineteenth century, a variety of bands, orchestras, and singers have been associated with Cedar Point. Highlighted in this post are just a few of the individuals and groups associated with the resort's long, rich musical history. Charles Baetz an early general manager at Cedar Point, founded the Great Western Band in 1867. Baetz was born in Renghausen, Germany in 1836, where he learned the violin and cornet as a young man. In 1854 he immigrated to the United States. He was the principal musician for Company A of the 128th Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. He participated in seven battles, and then returned home where he directed the military band at the federal prison on Johnson's Island, which was just across the bay from Sandusky.
The Great Western Band performed at Cedar Point for concerts and dances until about 1892.
The Ackley Band, founded by E.B. Ackley, was the successor to the Great Western
E.B. Ackley came to Sandusky
in 1893. He was the instructor of the Sandusky Band and Orchestra, and he also
worked as the director of music at Cedar Point. Several members of Ackley's
Band appear in the picture below, taken at Cedar Point.
In 1902, E.B. Ackley published the Cedar Point Two-Step. The music was
arranged for Band, Orchestra, Mandolin and Guitar, and was dedicated to the
Cedar Point Pleasure Resort Company.
Other compositions of sheet music dedicated to Cedar Point
include Cedar Point March, by
Francesco P. Russo (1910), the Cedar
Point March composed by T. J. Martin (no date listed), and Cedar Point That’s the Place, composed in
honor of G.A. Boeckling by J. Otto Martin in 1922.
Charles Bauman was a member of both the Great Western Band and Ackley's Band.
From 1914 to 1919, Leopold Adler was the popular director of the orchestra at
Cedar Point. He conducted hundreds of concerts in the Coliseum.
Leopold Adler composed the G.A.
Boeckling March in 1916. The G.A.
Boeckling March was played in the Coliseum at every concert directed by
During the Great Depression and World War Two, big bands performed in the
Coliseum's Grand Ballroom. Bands included: Woody Herman, Blue Barron, Guy
Lombardo, Benny Goodman, and Ozzie Nelson’s band.
Today several venues at Cedar Point offer live musical performances throughout
the park's season. To read more about the history of Cedar Point, see the book Cedar Point: The Queen of American Watering
Places, by David W. and Diane DeMali Francis (Amusement Park Books, 1995), available at the