Fred A. Martin was born in
Belgium on January 27, 1882 to Mr.
and Mrs. Julius Martin. The Martin family came to the United States when
Fred was a youngster. After residing for a time in Indiana,
the family moved to Sandusky
in 1901. As a young man, Fred worked as a glass worker, along with his father. In
1905 he married Alpha Steen, and they had two sons, Fred A. Martin,
Jr. and Harry Martin. In 1910 Mr. Martin began a confectionery and ice
cream business on the west side of Columbus
Avenue. By 1915 Martin’s Confectionery had moved
to the Cooke Block at the northeast corner of Columbus Avenue and Market Street. You can see the name Martin’s under the small clock on the right side of this
1931 photograph of downtown Sandusky.
In the 1916 Sandusky City Directory, Martin’s Confectionery was listed as a wholesale and retail ice cream manufacturer, with a full line of bakery goods and confections. Martin’s also featured a dining room. Local residents often called upon Martin’s for catering large parties and family gatherings. In 1921, Mr. Martin gave up the wholesale ice cream business, and focused on making candy. A separate manufacturing plant for Martin’s was located at
206 East Water Street
during much of the 1920s and 1930s. This advertisement, which appeared in the Sandusky
Star Journal on February 12, 1923, encouraged customers to purchase their
Valentine’s Day treats from Martin’s.
Heart shaped cakes and a variety of fine boxed chocolates were popular at Martin’s for Valentine’s Day in 1923.
On September 25, 1939, Fred A. Martin died, following a lengthy illness. A lengthy obituary for Fred A. Martin, Sr. appeared in the September 26, 1939 issue of the Sandusky Register. Fred Martin had been known as a “booster” of
Sandusky, and his business was well respected
in the area. Following his death, Mr. Martin’s wife and sons operated Martin’s Restaurant at 225 West Market Street.