Wednesday, August 26, 2009

George Orr, Letter Carrier

George W. Orr was the youngest son of Fred and Bessie (Stovall) Orr, born in Sandusky in 1926. Fred Douglas Orr had been born in Toccoa, Georgia, but moved to Ohio in the 1920’s to work at the Farrell Cheek Foundry.

George Orr graduated from Sandusky High School in 1945 (seen above in his Senior class photo). He served in the U.S. Navy during World War Two. George married Bertha Swain, and they had four children. He was a letter carrier for the Sandusky Post Office for over 25 years. George’s route included Venice, Bay Bridge, and Bay View. He was well-loved by the people to whom he delivered the mail.

If an elderly person’s walk was icy, George would hand deliver the mail to the front door. George got to know many of the children in the various communities he served, which was not an easy task during the “Baby Boom” years.

When the community heard that George was going to retire in 1985, several Bay View residents organized a surprise party for their beloved mailman. 350 people met at the Bay View firehouse on Sunday, August 25, 1985 to celebrate George Orr’s retirement. Among the gifts was a three foot high money tree with more than $800 in cash tied to the branches.

The Sandusky Register reported on the party in the August 26, 1985 issue. The photographs that appeared in the newspaper captured George’s infectious smile. One resident is quoted as saying “I have never known George to have a bad day.”

On November 6, 1986, George Orr died at the age of 60. His funeral was held at Second Baptist Church, and he was buried in Oakland Cemetery. Hundreds of Erie County residents still fondly recall “George the Mailman” and his many years of devoted service to the community.

1 comment:

Keith said...

I grew up in Venice, and George ALWAYS had a smile on his face. I remember as a kid looking forward to every day running down the driveway to get the mail from him. Without fail, he would spend a couple minutes asking you about your day, then he was off to his next house. His father, Fred, pulled my grandfather out of harm's way and saving his life during an accident when they both worked at Farrel Cheek.