In the early part of the twentieth century, Lewis H. Ohly operated a drugstore at the southeast corner of Columbus Avenue and Adams Street, just opposite Emmanuel United Church of Christ. Lewis, his wife Lena, and sons Nelson and Stuart are pictured above about 1910. An advertisement from a 1910-1911 local mail directory stated the Lewis H. Ohly, Druggist, was the headquarters for goldfish and aquarium supplies. The drugstore also sold candy, cigars, and toilet articles.
Lewis H. Ohly died at his residence above the drugstore on April 18, 1918. The April 19, 1918 issue of the Sandusky Register reported that Mr. Ohly suffered from rheumatic trouble. Mr. Ohly had been a druggist for twenty five years, and had run his own business for the past eighteen years. Before opening his own drugstore, Lewis Ohly worked for W. A. Graham and Charles Lehrer in Sandusky.
Eventually Lewis Ohly’s son Nelson Ohly would own the Ohly Drugstore in Sandusky at 402 Columbus Avenue, the same location as his father’s drugstore. The building next to it, at 106-108 East Adams Street is on the National Register of Historic Places. Today the Lawyers Title building is on the site of the Ohly building.
(Edited to correct errors in description.)