A blog dedicated to the discussion of topics relating to the history of Sandusky and Erie County, Ohio; inspired by the collections of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center and Follett House Museum. A service of the Sandusky Library.
On July 15, 1915, members of the Sandusky Ad Club held their annual banquet at Cedar Point. Special guests were former Sandusky residents who were in town for the community’s homecoming festivities. An article in the Sandusky Star Journal reported that the banquet was “splendid.” Toastmaster for the evening was C.B. Dewitt, the son-in-law of General Henry Axline. Mr. DeWitt, a veteran of the Spanish American War, also went on to serve in World War One.
The main speaker for the banquet was Grove Patterson, the acting managing editor of the Toledo Blade. Mr. Patterson stressed the “ability to translate inspirations into action” in his speech which was entitled “The Get-Together Spirit.”
The Sandusky Ad Club was formed in 1913 to promote business in Sandusky, and to further improvements in the community. Eventually the Ad Club merged with the local Chamber of Commerce.