Sunday, September 11, 2016

Postcard View of the Perry's Victory Centennial

This photographic postcard view of Columbus Avenue was taken at the time of the Perry's Victory Centennial which commemorated the one hundredth anniversary of Oliver Hazard Perry’s victory in the Battle of Lake Erie. Sandusky’s celebration took place on September 8 and 9, 1913. Downtown Sandusky was decorated with flags, lights, banners, and patriotic bunting. Visitors to the Perry Centennial arrived by the interurban electric railway and automobiles, and then could board boats to Put in Bay on South Bass Island.

On the west side of Columbus Avenue, one of the shops on the street level of the West House hotel hung a banner promoting their services for the developing of Kodak camera prints.

A café and restaurant on the east side of Columbus Avenue were open for business to serve meals to the many visitors to Sandusky and the Lake Erie Islands region.

The Lake Shore Electric Railway Co. transported people to Sandusky from all points on the system, which included Cleveland, Lorain, Elyria, Norwalk, Bellevue, Fremont, Toledo, and many stops in between, while the steamer Arrow made two trips daily to Put in Bay, Lakeside, Kelleys Island, and Middle Bass Island. Taking a closer look at this postcard allows us to see the energy and excitement that was associated with the celebration of this historic event. The Official Souvenir Program of the Perry’s Victory Centennial is available online at the Internet Archive.

No comments: