On April 25, 1909, thousands of people attended the ceremony of the setting of the cornerstone for St. Mary’s School. The school was a three-story structure which included as basement and a large auditorium. The architect for the project was H.C. Millott, and the school was constructed by George Feick and Company. Bishop J.M. Koudelka came to
to dedicate the cornerstone as it was laid in place. St.
Mary’s priest, Father J.S. Widmann was directly behind the group of men
carrying the cornerstone in the picture above. As the cornerstone was set into
place, the choir from St. Mary’s Catholic Church sang a musical selection.
each tapped the new cornerstone with a mawl. The councilmen were: Dr. J.H.
Herman, Edward Erney, Charles Westerhold, and Martin Ehner. After them, Father
Widmann gave words of thanks on behalf of himself and the entire congregation.
Father Patrick O’Brien, from
Toledo, gave an oration, but he had to cut it
short due to threatening weather. Though rain fell, the audience gave Father
O’Brien their complete attention. Ackley’s Band played as the people assembled
sang a Catholic hymn at the conclusion of the ceremony. Articles about the
cornerstone laying ceremony appeared in the April 25 and April 26, 1909 issues
of the Sandusky Register. St. Mary’s
School was dedicated on June 19, 1910.